All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Anglicko-český slovník

BETA Online Dictionary English-Czech: Enter keyword here!
  ÁáČč...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Tschechisch-Englisch
 What is this »
« St Gunther's Hill, Czech Republic    

English-Czech Translation of
Translation of early

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
Translation of early-20th century family obituary  
by CosmonautX (UN), 2012-01-26, 17:35  like dislike  Spam?  
Hi, all

Hoping someone can help with the translation of an obituary of a family member who died in the 1930s. All I have to go on are the two clippings here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/VaclavSeykII-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/VaclavSeykI.jpg

A contact roughly translated the second clipping as:

An architect and archaeologist, and a contributor to the Central Matice scholarship fund (?), he was a loyal member of the nation, although he lived abroad for many years. He died on 5th March 1933 at the age of 82. A private funeral for family and friends was held on 8th March at the central chapel in Olšany.
P.V. writes this very interesting obituary, proof that the scholarship has supporters among the noblest men and scholars of our country: "Václav Seyk, former builder for the sultan's court in Istanbul and excellent archeologist, who was activly serving in the Orient, will be buried today in Olšany. Václav Seyk is one of our few countrymen who, after the Russo-Turkish War, chose to spread his influence in the Orient. At first, he worked on railway construction in the Balkans, and after finishing the eastern railway in Turkey, took himself to Istanbul, where his wide field of knowledge quickly made him a good name. He was entrusted with the construction of palaces and hotels, and became a favourite of the the court of Sultan Abdul Hamid II. After 10 years, he was named the court architect, and later director, of all 'royal' (Sultan's?) construction. Sultan Abdul Hamid II grew very attached to our countryman and entrusted him with works which not only required expert knowledge, but often even genius: for example, the building of palace halls, the restoration of palaces, the construction of new secret passages between the Yldiz stall and the sultan's castles (?) etc. The evidence of how much trust V. Seyk had earned is shown by the fact that Abdul Hamid entrusted him with the delivery of the sarcophagus of Alexander the Great, excavated in 1887 in Sidon, to Istanbul - the most beautiful work of sculptors from the era before Praxiteles, with an unnameable worth in the millions. V. Seyk restored the throne chamber, sultans' library, treasury, building of the sacred shroud, Baghdad stall (?), sultans' museum, and more. Next to these works, our countryman was involved in the construction of the Anatolian railway. The monumental station in Haydarpaşa was his project. Along with construction work, V. Seyk was always interested in archeology. He discovered countless rare and expensive artifacts in the Balkans, Istanbul, Asia Minor, Palestine, and Syria, which form the entirety of the archeological treasure in the Oriental museum in Istanbul. His work on ancient Troy with Schliemann, published in archeological journals, incited interest in scholarly circles around the world. An inadequately treated injury which V. Seyk suffered during the construction of a railway in Syria led to the loss of use of his foot; because of this injury, the excellent technician and scientist could only rarely go out in his later years. He died at the age of 82. His life's great work deserves lasting respect, his name an honourable memorial.

...but the first clipping was never translated, and he was unsure of his own translation of the second.

I know it's a bit of a big request, and long translations like this are less likely to be helped with, but this is the only information we have on this part of the family tree and it would be wonderful to have it translated. Any help would be much appreciated!
Answer:
CosmonautX  #638904
by horno falcky, 2012-01-26, 18:44  like dislike  Spam?  92.203.99....
Hello,
I´d like to help you. My English is only medium. So, if this doesn´t matter, please let me know. You will
understand everything very well. Perhaps you can give me an email-adress.
Answer:
by CosmonautX (UN), 2012-01-26, 21:55  like dislike  Spam?  
I've got an old email address you can use:

cosmonaut_x4;yahoo.co.uk

Your English looks fine - much better than my Czech! :-)
Answer:
by tomas-a (CZ), 2016-11-01, 18:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Hello,
I am a Czech archaeologist, who is dealing (together with two Greek colleagues) with the life and work of Vaclav Seyk/Sejk.
I would like to ask you for help and cooperation with my/our research. I can also translate you some papers in Czech related to him. Or I can send you some information and digitized papers related to him, if you want.
Please send me an email to alusikt4;seznam.cz
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Tomas Alusik

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
English-Czech online dictionary (Anglicko-český slovník) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement